Grounds for Recall
Representative Holmes has demonstrated unsuitable conduct, is unfit for office and should be recalled. She has:
- Sworn on her Declaration of Candidacy that she was a Democrat. Membership in a political party implies a certain political belief system and is an important factor by which voters evaluate a candidate.
- Made representations to district residents and her supporters that she would serve in the legislature as a Democrat.
- Solicited campaign contributions, making representations that she would serve in the legislature as a member of a Democratic caucus.
- Deceived voters by misrepresenting her intended political party.
- She formally changed her party affiliation from Democrat to Republican immediately before being sworn in. In doing so, she adopted the political and legislative philosophy voters elected her to oppose.
- Said, “I think in a lot of ways it has been something I’ve been moving toward for the entire six years I’ve been in the legislature.”
- As a representative, she joined the Republican caucus and voted for a Republican speaker and a Republican-led organization of the House.
- Misrepresented herself to voters and Division of Elections, thereby qualifying as deception, unfit conduct, and subject to recall vote.